Sunday, June 22, 2008

Australia's Quilts By Jenny Manning

Ever since I started quilting, I have adored the following, which is on display at Ayers Historic House in Adelaide.

Here is a brief description. "A beautiful patchwork and applique medallion coverlet is of unknown maker and history, dating from the 1830's. The whimsical border of 19th century ladies, hands joined as they dance around the edge of the quilt, is reminiscent of paper cut-outs made by children".

It is surprising how many great quilts we do have and thank goodness so many are preserved and treasured.

I have a few little chores to do, then off for a fun display and luncheon with Julia.

'Bye!

4 Lovely People said ...:

Kristie said...

That border is BEAUTIFUL! I love it, it is so unique!
Kristie

Ribbonwiz said...

I love the dancing dollies border.
It's in a way whimsy and beautiful!
hugs Julia

Candace said...

Sure looks familier, I think that a very talented blogger has recreated some on her blog. I like things and admire them, you like things, recreate them, and make them your own.

Kathie said...

Thanks for sharing that picture.
I just love the dolls too!
nice to see where your inspiration came from
thanks!!!!!
Kathie