Monday, February 2, 2009

Happy House Swap!

Above is the reason I have been a little quiet lately! I have been preparing little house blocks in readiness for a Happy House Block Swap!

Bonnie Hunter has kindly given me her permission to use her Happy Scrappy Houses as the basis for this swap - thank you so much Bonnie, this will be so much fun! Also, I must give many thanks to Chookyblue and Julia for the help and encouragement they have given me to get this off the ground and I know they will continue to support me throughout this fun project!

Now, Girls I will tell you a little more about it and then post the explicit instructions within a day or two!

These blocks of the little wonky houses finish up being 10" square and run uphill and downhill, which adds to the charm of them! The wall hanging I have sewn for illustration purposes, measures 37" x 27" with the borders added. I would like to suggest that each fun-lover contributes 9 or 12 blocks, then sends them to me for trimming and sorting - if we get a good response, I know I have lots of willing helpers! The equivalent number of blocks will then be sent back to you and you should end up with lots of variety and the makings of a great, fun quilt! Whether you add sashings and posts will be up to you.


I really regret having to tell you Overseas Girls, this Swap will probably be for Aussie Girls only, this is just not my style, I am always 'the more the merrier'! However, if someone can come up with with an idea to overcome the postage to and fro, I would love to hear about it, thanks! Maybe we could have a sort of 'hostess' for different countries if there are volunteers to make it a success. Aussie girls will be asked to enclose a return pre-paid postage envelope with their blocks.

It is envisaged the blocks should be sent to me by the end of April, this will give everyone plenty of time to get their blocks done, even allowing for holidays, working girls, young mums, etc. I will include a lot more details in a future Post - this is just to whet your appetites to participate in Blogland Fun!

These blocks are really quick to make - I have made 9 over the weekend with lots of interruptions - now I am on a roll, but must get my real house in order before doing more! This could be done in an even speedier way if the same fabrics were used for your chosen number of houses, 2" strips, cross-cut multiple layers of fabric!

My blocks are quite florally (is that a word?) because that's me and what I have in scraps, but as long as the blocks are done in bright pastels/primaries with lighter triangles perhaps, that will be fine. Background fabric will be neutral.

I am hoping lots of girls will join in and I will be able to be emailed, but I guess I need to get instruction posted before you have too many questions!

Here's hoping and please pass the word around, it should be a lot of fun and it will be nice to have a wall hanging/quilt of swap blocks - I will let you know who made each block and a blog address if that is acceptable!

Oh, and very important - Chookyblue is designing a swap button for you to add to your blog!
Wow, here it is already!


♥ ... Talk to you again soon ... Cheery Bye ... ♥

21 Lovely People said ...:

Julia said...

Sounds good Lurline...love the little houses!
I'm sure the girls will love this swap.
I'm thinking a lap quilt for me.
Count me in, and for any help should you need it..
Hugs julia ♥

Chookyblue...... said...

I am in and will be sure to continue to support you we have had lots of fun so far so not stopping now..........9-12 house no problems.......can't wait to see who else joins in........

Lynda said...

I'll jump in too seeing as I am Australian and elegible. I'll send you a seperate email as well though.

Lynda said...

Oops that didn't post with the link to my blog address. You can find me here. www.bettsylyn.blogspot.com

Christine said...

I would like to join please.

cheers
Christine

Highland Quilter said...

Sounds like fun. I have admired the USA ladies houses for a while and am keen to join your swap!! Will keep an eye out for further details,
Cathy

rachelmp said...

Cute! I would like to join too please

Robyn said...

I'm lurking at the moment.
I have so much on coming up, that I'm gonna have a good think and maybe try a block or two first.
Just letting you know...I'm so excited about this cause I love them but don't want to commit to something when I'm unsure... I'm sure I'll be back.
Your houses are adorable.
Also, I wanted to thank you for your kind comment and support for myself but especially for Tim's family.
hugs
Robyn xx

Fiesta said...

Lurline, wish we could join you.
I am sure this will be a wonderful swap.
Just a note that all the ink markings came off my hexagon quilt and I am now using the quilt.

Julie said...

Fun idea Lurline. Count me in.

Cornfield Quilter said...

What a fun idea! Count me in!

Stephanie said...

I just saw the darling house button at Chookblues. This will be fun to following along. LOVE your new happy house banner.

Kathy said...

This is sew cute! I just love it. I wish I could join in but I'm in the USA and I understand the postage issue. Would you like to have a USA hostess? Email me and we can talk about it.

kearley75860 (at) yahoo (dot) com

em's scrapbag said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. I would be willing to help if you want a host in the U.S. But I would need help knowing what to do. I've never done a swap before. Thanks Em

Patchwork Penguin said...

I just finished binding my Scrappy Houses quilt. THey are so cute. I have been asked to do a swap for this on one of my lists, but would be happy to do it through the blogs. I have borrowed your button picture (it is so cute) so if there is interest in a US swap, let me know.

Erin said...

I have almost finished this Scrappy Houses quilt but my mum has already laid claim so this is perfect for me to be able to have one myself - and even better to have it made from so many different fellow quilters! Plus Im in Adelaide so I am eligable! Count me in!! :) I will keep my eye out for more details.

erinlearnstoquilt.blogspot.com

Shari said...

Cogratulations Lurline - seems like a lot of interest so far. Not sure how I'm placed for projects - will wait and see the instructions. I certainly have enough brights that's for sure...
*hugs*

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Well it sounds like so much fun...why not Lurline count me in....

Quilt Hollow said...

These are just adorable.

Mistea said...

Those houses sure are cute. I will keep looking to see what happens next and may try the instructions to see whether it is something I would like to do. Thanks for sharing

Christina said...

Am I to late to join?