Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Under Flynn's Wings!

I have more interesting quilts to show you from our recent QuiltWest Exhibition! We were fortunate enough to have on display a selection of quilts from The National Quilting Exhibition, depicting and celebrating 80 years of service in Australia of our Royal Flying Doctor Service!

The above is the winner of the prestigious award and was created by our very own Past President, Jocelyne Leath - congratulations, Jocelyne!

Another two wonderful creations from elsewhere in Australia! John Flynn was the Founder of this great service - that happened back in 1928 with the first flight from Cloncurry, Queensland - oh, how fortunate so many Australians have been with this wonderful service!

Below, as I have mentioned previously, I was asked to make a Third Prize quilt for our raffle, proceeds of which go to the RFDS. I very happily donated 'Charisma' - I'm so pleased to be able to contribute my little bit to such a wonderful cause!

Very little has happened in the sewing room lately, today is the day! Julia has trimmed some Happy Houses for me, so I'm going to do the rest and get them out to you lovely girls ... I promise ... I think!
I'd like to make a start soon on some Redwork - I haven't embroidered for years and am entering into this lacking a bit of confidence - please tell me who does and who doesn't use a hoop for backstitch?
Happy day!

18 Lovely People said ...:

Mildred said...

Such a fascinating history Lurline. Thank you for sharing this.
I love your quilt; such cheerful fabrics.
Years ago when I did embroider, I never did use a hoop!
Hoping you have a lovely rest of the week.

Kristie said...

Lovely quilts and history!

I do use a hoop! :) My aunt does not use a hoop and she even uses regular sewing thread to do her embroidery!
Kristie

Chookyblue...... said...

I love the top RFDS quilt.........you quilt looks lovely.........and as you now know I don't use a hoop..........

qltmom9 said...

I don't use a hoop, but I absolutely LOVE using cotton thin Request batting or a thick piece of flannel behind the fabric so stitches do not show through...VERY tidy looking.~

Narelle said...

I don't use a hoop but my good friend Kerry does.
I purchased DUQ on Monday ... love your bag and must make one when I get time.

Notjustnat said...

Lurline, I love redwork and make many smaller projects using redwork. I don't use hoop or pellon interfacing. It works perfectly for me

Janet said...

I was fortunate enough to see those quilts last year and was blown away by them, the skills of the makers was fabulous. I us a hoop with backstitch otherwise my stitches aren't even and small and I have trouble holding the piece.

Lissa Jane said...

Lurline thanks for sharing the pics.. and yes, the RFDS is a great service, I am so lucky to live near a hospital that has all the services I hope to never use..
I use 'whisperweft' for the back of my stitcheries.. I dont always use a hoop, I get myself in tangles a LOT if I do, but can recommend the clover hoops (its green and less tangles happen when I use it) I have used pellon, but I dont like the padded look if the redwork is going into a quilt, but if it is just a stitchery I'll use it..


Lissa

Cybele's patch said...

Charisma makes a very cheerful quilt. Looks like the twin brother of mine, the sister ;-)
I don't use a hoop for stitcheries. But stitcheries are not really my thing though I do them because they look so pretty in quilts.
Jossie

Mistea said...

Thanks for sharing the gorgeous quilts. Your donation quilt is lovely and colourful. I mostly use a hoop when I embroider because I usually use something behind my work which is not ironed on.

Dzintra Ingrid said...

Great post Lurline...I have so much admiration for John Flynn...I have the 3 books about him as well...I have the utmost respect for Nurses...
And yes I like to use a hoop...my friend who is a prolific producer of patchwork, cross stitch etc. doesn't use a hoop. She said it is a fairly new invention ie. approximately 100 years ago...so whatever feels comfortable for you ♥x

Karen said...

These quilts blow me away! Thanks for posting them. Were they made by different quilters?

Ati. Norway. said...

Thanks for the quilt photos! I didn't use a hoop for my clock stitchery. I don't have one :)

Cardygirl said...

Love the quilts...I stitch a lot & always use something like whisperweft to back my work, I don't use a hoop for backstitch (provided you have even tension) but I always use it for satin stitch or it may not sit perfectly flat. I love surface work...drawing pretty colours with my needle! Have fun!

Julia said...

I loved your quilt...so generous of you Lurline to donate it to such a worthwhile cause..Lots of people commented at the show how lovely it was.
I don't use a hoop either, I think go with what your comfortable doing...try both and see!
Hugs Julia ♥

Micki said...

The pics are wonderful. I loved the quilts!
Micki

Helz said...

Amazing RFDS Quilts Lurline... enjoyed seeing those very much !

Judith Tetley said...

Have just enjoyed a visit Lurline. Lovely quilts...so inspiring. I don't use a hoop for all of my stitchery work as I feel it restricts me too much. I am right handed so I always roll the left side of my work in and; hold the rolled fabric with my left hand. The two middle fingers of my left hand are underneath and I put some upward pressure on the fabric as I am holding it and gently keep it tight with a bit of a push towards my left shoulder. This keeps the fabric fairly firm, and avoids ripples in the work.
If working on wall hangings, cushion fronts etc, I like to have the wadding ironed onto the back and another piece of calico basted to the back of that before I start stitching. The calico will prevent any migration of fluff from the wadding through to the front. The other alternative is to iron a stabiliser onto the back e.g. whisperweft or weaveline. I would use those if doing a quilt with a stitchery in it.

With back stitch the most important thing to remember is; when you are going to take the needle back for the stitch, always re-enter the last hole of the previous stitch. This will give you a nice even line and you will get into a rythmn that will help keep the stitches the same size.
Hope you enjoy getting back to redwork....I love stitchery work.
Kind Regards
Judith
www.creativestudio10.blogspot.com