Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Little Bit of This and a Little Bit of that!

Here we are Wednesday already! I did get a few things done over the weekend midst all the family visits, etc. I managed to make two gifty runners with my new handkerchief linens and some gorgeous 'scraps'!

Here are two of my precious tools of trade, Hera marker and pin closing tool, made by dear friend Reno, Julia's husband! I modified the measurements from the magazine article I talked about earlier, so I could mark lines at half inch intervals for quilting. You can see the lovely lines one can achieve with the Hera marker and it worked particularly well on the linen. I use little curved, gold pins for pinning quilts and this tool is quite state of the art for closing them - no hand stress at all!

Another lovely story - I loaned dear friend Robin a little Brother sewing machine, while hers was being serviced. Long story to this machine - let's just say I bought it for a dear family friend who stayed with us while visiting from Thailand and it has been left with me. Barely used and Robin says it worked like a little charm - it had no cover and look how Robin has returned it to me!

Isn't this wonderful! Little houses all over and pockets each end to hold accessories! thank you dear Robin!
I recently received my first BOM from Amitie - wow, look at those tiny pieces - I'm a bit daunted as they are supposed to be hand pieced and I know this would be the most accurate way - but do I really want to put all that time into it? I have lots and lots of handwork at the moment - I know once I start, I will wonder what all the fuss was about!
Today it starts - a big 'tidy-up'! Not too sure how far I will go - just feeling like minimalising again - a lot for it, a lot against it - let's see where the road takes me! Hope you are all having a lovely week - may get to read a lot of Posts late tonight! Oh, by the way - for our Aussie girls, there is a Special on Channel 9 tonight about our wonderful Professor Chris O'Brien who so sadly and tragically lost his battle with brain cancer - thank you and God bless Dr Chris for all the lives you have saved and the compassion and comfort you have given to others!

30 Lovely People said ...:

West Michigan Quilter said...

What good friends you have. Love the machine cover. How cute. Love your handkerchief linens too. Making up very nicely. Anxious to see your BOM. The picture looks cute.

Nedra said...

Very cute machine cover. What a great way to return a favor.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh so many wonderful things to talk about, I just adore the hankercheif linens, how pretty! so very pretty! I wish I had a tool to close pins, after a while it really does hurt!! How kind your friend was to make that darling machine cover, so very thoughtful! and I look forward to seeing what all those little pieces become! thank you for sharing all your goodies. As for thr tidy part at some point we all need to do it, don't we?

Notjustnat said...

Hi Lurline, nice post. I love all the tools of the trade. I use them too and agreed with you that they are perfect for the job. Love the handkerchief linens too.

Kate said...

That sewing machine cover is just too cute!!!

Janet said...

Good job on the runners, they look great. Love the sewing machine cover, would your friend like to borrow my machine? I use the hera marker sometimes too, it really works. I'm resisting the gorgeous bom even though I love the look of it.

Helz said...

Hello Lurline... How's the Minimalising going ??? Just the very mere thought... Lol You have a lovely thoughtful friend indeed... Gotta Luv the side pockets !

Julia said...

Good job on the runners, they look great Lurline, that hera marker is the best, as is the pin closure tool!
I wonder if Robin would like to borrow my Janome next time she needs a machine...love that machine cover!
Hugs Julia ♥

Lulu said...

I love those runners. They look very modern and stylish. I've never had a hera marker. How do they work?

Mildred said...

Hi Lurline, I love your fabrics made into the runners. Also, that is such a cute cover for the machine. Hope you are well and having a great week dear friend.

Cybele's patch said...

Your table runners are gorgeous. The Hera marker is a great tool. I couln't miss it. And that machine cover is really top. Never would have thought adding those pockets. What a great idea!

Christine said...

Lurline I looove your table runners, they really look fantastic.
The tool Reno made looks great and it sure is a finger safer.

I am off to Sydney in the morning.

cheers
Christine

RED PEPPER QUILTS said...

Hi Lurline - I love the table runners you made, they look fabulous, the colored cottons really shine when you team them up with the linens. I am definitely going to have to track down a Hera marker. What a lovely sewing machine cover your friend made. Wow!

Rita

Kathie said...

I would be happy to lend Robyn a machine!
thats an adorable cover!
lucky you!
LOVE your runners
I need to buy some of that linen fabric love the look of it
YES I do need to try this
great ideas you have!
Kathie
ps good luck with that bom:)

Stephanie said...

Terrific tablerunners!!! The quilting really enhances them. What a darling machine cover. Oh I'm so looking forward to your progress on you BOM.

Shari said...

Runners look great Lurline! And Robin is just the nicest lady! Not sure what you have to clean up - your house is so neat and tidy! The BOM looks interesting...
Hugs - Shari

quiltingnana said...

I'd like to know how the marker works....your projects are great...love the machine cover

Fiesta said...

Lurline the sewing machine cover is to die for. It is just downright cute.
what a great idea for the little runners. I needed to make some as christmas gifts and I am going to borrow your idea.

Sweet P said...

The table runners are cute! How nice of your friend to make that wonderful sewing machine cover.

clare's craftroom said...

I love all your scrappy bits and that great machine cover .

Lisa said...

Your table runners are very pretty ... love the fabric. And the machine cover is adorable!!!

em's scrapbag said...

The sewing machine cover is lovely. What a great gift. Your runners are lovely. Great fabrics!

Rumi said...

Wow, what a nice cover she made for your machine! Love your runners too!

Micki said...

I love the machine cover! Lovely!
Micki

aussiequilter said...

you are a busy girl! Love the runners alot and really NEED your wonderful tool for closing pins.cheers teri

Catherine said...

So did you do lots of tidying?? Love the sewing machine cover...lucky you!! Cathy

Myra said...

What a wonderful machine cover! What a gift! 8-)

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Lurline fantastic little table runners love the fabrics...and the machine cover is very cute and oh so thoughtful...

Sarah said...

Great runners Lurline! and that Machine Cover is so clever!
x Sarah

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Could I loan your friend my machine too!??? I love this cover. IT is super darling and it is so Lurline.