Friday, June 4, 2010

Seems Like a Long Time!

Hi All - hope I am sounding a little brighter - I try to keep my tears and tanties (tantrums!) for DH, rest of Family and Close-Friends. Lot of beautiful thoughts pass through my mind and I design great quilts and projects - so much enjoyment I derive from you all in Blogland, even though I don't keep up my side of the bargain a lot of the time lately!

Julia and I have just been having a little chat about crochet and projects we are thinking about - I decided to show Julia Irish Crochet - the above set done by Mum perhaps back in the Eighties - she is now 91 - she started it while holidaying with me in Gove, Arnhem land, mine I did in ecru! This set still sits on her dressing table - we take it for granted, but I guess it does take a very special talent to start with hook and thread and come up with this!

Dreaming - yep! Beautiful Liberties I am going to try to use for applique of a new quilt I will design and make with Dancing Dollies - hope the fabric is applicable, such beautiful prints for little dresses, don't you think? Hey, look at those gorgeous beams of sunshine through the blinds!

The wool basket! - I'm into 48 hours of doing nothing after a cortisone injection yesterday - surely a little tapping of keys won't hurt! Lots of superb Australian DK merino wool - the pattern is by Attic24 - do look up her web/blog if interested, just fabulous - I admire her outlook on life, her attitude and her work so much!

Hmmm., back to our recent quilt show - I think these pics are fairly you-beaut with my new camera, it has just been the effort of being in pain control and getting the camera to like me! I know quite a lot of you have seen Julia's prize winning quilt - you can hear lots more about it on her blog.

Dear Friend, Robin - another Prizewinner with a Piece o' Cake Design - beautifully interpreted!
An original from out QuiltWest Co-ordinator, Sheila Pye - takes one back to the 1840's - a First prize winner in the category!
And can you see why? Look at this magnificent quilting on a domestic sewing machine - hearty congrats, Sheila!
Wow, quite an effort for me - I'm really, really happy with my new camera - all those taken in the Convention Centre were with the camera without the built-in flash - still very good, I think.
Those at home were taken with the exchanged Olympis E-PI - of course in great daylight, so no flash needed. Oh, and I forgot to mention - the postie lady brought my EQ7 Version this morning - quite a buzz - haven't had time to play, shall tell you about it soon. Also, my little social outings since I last talked to you - great lunch with friends last Saturday - I love them dearly - then lovely night with Secret Quilters last Tuesday night - oh, I am a Lucky Girl, helps ease the pain, tears and tanties!

25 Lovely People said ...:

Margaret said...

Lovely crochet set! Gorgeous -- I'm always in awe of such wonderful, delicate work. I love your liberty fabrics -- can't wait to see your new quilt using them! And the yarn -- don't you love Attic 24? I want to learn to crochet just because of her! Beautiful quilt show pics too!

Barb said...

Love the quilts you showed and the wonderful eye candy...so early in the morning, it was a treat!

By Hoki Quilts said...

Oh my goodness, so much candy for the eye in your post today, where do I begin? Your prints are just lovely and then the prizewinning quilts, wow! That delightful crochet doily - oh I wish I could creat something so fine and then that quilt, quilted on a domestic machine - a master crafts woman for sure. Thankyou Lurline for inspiring me with your photo's the new camera is doing a great job and so are you. Chin up : ))
hugs
Miche'le

Mrs Quilty said...

Hi Lurline! It's been awhile since I've checked out my blogfriends! I am sorry to see you are having pain issues!!! I certainly hope it gets better faster!!! Constant pain is no fun!! Your pictures are beautiful and such talents! WOW! I love that gorgeous doily made by your Mum! Such a lot of work. Best wishes and have a great day!

Notjustnat said...

Hi Lurline, it's good to see you. I miss you and glad that you are feeling better. I love your mum's crochet doilies. Gorgeous Liberty prints. I will be watching with interest what you are making with them. I have a big stash of them too. When we lived in London, I hit Liberty House every time the sale was on and now I just need to use them up. Have a lovely weekend Lurline - Love Nat

Julia said...

So lovely to see you back online Lurline..
I was so lucky to see Mum's crochet in person yesterday...it is so beautiful!
Oh dear, I can see me looking at Liberty prints now, I do love yours.
I hope your feeling better today and in less pain..48 hours remember!
Hugs Julia ♥

Miriam said...

Your mum's crochet work is amazing! I am in awe of her fine work.
Looove the Liberties. It is such gorgeous fabric to work with. :)
Thank you for sharing those magnificent quilts!
Have fun with EQ7. That should keep you busy for a few hours!!
I hope that cortisone injection wasn't too painful and that it brings you relief. ((hugs))

Maree: said...

Lovely to hear how you are going...Beautiful Post lots to look at...Love that Wool will check out the site...can't wait to see your version of some Dollies..I love them too...Hope you have a Lovely Weekend.. Regardless.. of what's going on...Hope you are feeling Much Better Today..
Take care
cheers

Kim D. said...

The doilies and the fabrics are so pretty and the quilts are lovely too. Thanks for sharing.

Kathie said...

oh where oh where did you find those liberty fabrics?
beautiful.....ah pretty yarn :)
the quilts are beautiful
love the one made by Shelia....oh and Julias and ...
all beautiful quilts
you had better take it easy so you can finally heal
Kathie

Narelle said...

Your mother's crochet doily looks sooo intricate.
I can see many pretty little dresses in those fabrics. :o)

Vicki said...

I love your Mum's crochet...its absolutely fabulous. I wish I could do crochet like that. I wish I had a set like that...its just really really lovely. I love the fabrics you have chosen for your ladies dresses too...they are going to be gorgeous.
Those quilts are to die for and look just amazing. I am hanging out to get my EQ7 ...its on its way to me :)

Vicki said...

I meant to say also that I hope your shoulder isnt as painful and getting you down too much. Hopefully soon it will all be better :) Hugssss

Sue-Anne said...

The doilie is absolutely stunning! There is so much work in it!
I am really looking forward to seeing those beautiful Liberty prints come to life and dancing around the border of a new quilt, and I can't believe all that quilting was done on a domestis sewing machine - puts mine to shame!

Meredith said...

Isn't it nice to have things like that I have a table cloth I cherish. The fabric is very pretty. Thanks for sharing the quilt show with us.

Rumi said...

Magnificent crocheting by your mum. Lovely! I'm sure you are itching to get at all those wonderful fabrics and yarns but don't rush in too soon--we want you to heal, heal, heal!

Hugs your way. Rumi

Micki said...

The Irish crochet is spectacular! Woderful eye candy all around!
Micki

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Your Mum's crochet is stunning, thank you for sharing. and also for sharing all the wonderful quilts' Whenever you need to vent, you email me, I would be happy to listen. Hugs!

Cathy said...

Oh beautiful crochet and gorgeous libertys. I love the wool basket and those quilts are incredible. I hope your injection works for you really well Lurline xo

Barb said...

lovely quilts - thanks for sharing them

Nedra said...

We understand! I know you are anxious to be back and working with your hands again.
Beautiful quilts, and I loved seeing the bright colors of yarn.

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Your Mum's crochet is beautiful. Actually the word beautiful doesn't do it justice.
Hope your pain has subsided.
I have had a torn rotator cuff and surgery a couple of years ago. I know what you are going through and it can be very frustrating.
Hugs,
Phyllis

imquilternity said...

So many lovely things in one great post!! So, I'm just going to generalize and tell you what a wonderful blog you have!!

Mary said...

OOOOooo...those fabrics are AMAZING!

Lucy~

Chookyblue...... said...

pleased to see your loving your new camera