Monday, April 20, 2009

A Busy Weekend!

As usual - a busy weekend here and not a lot of sewing done! Never mind, the little ones stayed with us and had a lot of fun, son-in-law helped me in the garden (poor boy, he worked so hard!) and DS arrived home yesterday (just for the night!).

I did manage to put wings on the Messenger Birdie (pattern, Melly & me, tail modified) and finish her off.

And ... the Potholder (Pinwheel included!) quilted and bound! Also, the dolly quilt is quilted, just binding to be stitched down!

Another pattern for a softie - I have seen this cute lady in real life and can't wait to make her! I have had the pattern for ages and haven't done anything about it, now Janet from quiltsalott, has the pattern, too, and we have made a pact to make Mrs. Perkins between 11 - 28 May so ... if anyone who has the pattern would like to join in, just let us know - will be fun to have company! Janet's blog is absolutely delightful and she is one of the most accomplished appliquers (is that a word?) I have ever met!
This is the corner of my garden that had a make-over, or maybe was denuded is a better way to put it, at the weekend! I love ferns, but especially maiden hair fern - so the jade has gone to heaven and so has the huge holly fern. I am attempting to make this into a little ferny grove with baby tears and more delicate ferns - it is a protected corner, so let's hope it survives the harsh winds and summer sun!
The start of another week - let's hope it is a good one for everyone!

21 Lovely People said ...:

Shari said...

You've had a busy weekend! The potholder turned out great. Love the new fabrics as well. And soft toy plans... you're an inspiration! See ya' Tuesday!

Hugs - Shari

Cathi said...

That messenger birdie is wonderful! Love it. And your potholder looks much too nice to use!

Janet said...

Love the messenger bird and the pot holder looks great. I may even make 2 Mrs Perkins! I think I'll try and get hold of some linen thread for them.

Anonymous said...

How sweet the bird and potholder both are Lurline. Also, I love your garden spot - it looks so cool and inviting. We have many ferns that grow naturally near the creek in the woods. Wish you were here to help me identify the different varieties! Have a nice week.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

It seems to me that you got quite a bit done this weekend!!

Julia said...

You've had a busy weekend too!
The birdie looks lovely, and the potholder looks great...just what I need to make, my old ones have seen better days..
catch up soon.
Julia ♥

Nat Palaskas said...

Lurline, wow you did a lot in the weekend. I only played and nothing to show for - Natima

West Michigan Quilter said...

Looks like you had a busy weekend. Love your birdie and the potholder. You are an inspiration to me. Now that spring is arriving in my part of the world, you've inspired me to get to work in my garden too. Thanks for sharing.

Sherri said...

The pinwheel potholder is gorgeous!!! And I love the Hardanger piece in the first photo...did you make it? I used to do quite a bit of Hardanger before i became a quilter!

Joy said...

I love giraffes ... and Mrs Perkins is just adorable!! I must see if I can get that pattern, I might be able to join you - via 'puter of course ;o).
Hugs,
Joy :o)

Mistea said...

Purples spots for wings perfect, love the little birdie. Great pot holder. Enjoy Mrs Perkins she is quite a character!

Liz said...

If I can pick up the pattern for Mrs Perkins this week I will join you too, and thanks for the support for my blogger reply woes. I think I have it nailed thanks to Linda, hugs Lizzie

Helz said...

Soooo... did this makeover require the " Must Do " visit to Bunnings for inspiration &&& selection of Little Ferny Grove candidates by any chance or @ the top of The Next To Do List... Lol saw a cute little Maidenhair @ my local Bunnings with white flecks just this week... Temptation !

Abby and Stephanie said...

Your potholder is just darling. What line is the little girl fabric? I love Mrs. Perkins because my very favorite animal is a giraffe. I keep wanting her but have yet to buy the pattern. Can't wait to see all of the Mrs. Perkins!

Myra said...

Sounds like a great weekend of accomplishments and help Lurline! 8-)

I look forward to seeing your giraffes! 8-)

Heather said...

Hello Lurline! How are you? I wanted to stop in and say thank you for your sweet comments you always leave on my blog, you are so nice! All of the pictures on this post are very fun. I like the bird you made, and the giraffe will be so adorable. Your “fern corner” is so pretty. I love ferns too, they grow like mad out here in the forests, I like how they curl out when they grow :)

Wendy said...

Such a beautiful spot in your garden. I love ferns and hosta's.

Unknown said...

I Love the Messenger Birdie!! Did you use a special batting in the pot holder? Its gorgeous :)

Micki said...

You have been a busy lady. i love the potholder.
Micki

Nanette Merrill said...

The pot holder is to die for!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Hi Lurline--I am posting from NY state in the US and I found you by way of Lizzie--and she was talking about the Mrs Perkins pattern and you and your friend making one--well, I don't have any little ones to make one for--but I did find the pattern and I found not one, but two fabric combo's I really like and I plan to join you all in making her. Your can see my fabrics ahead of time on Di-workbaskettimecard.blogspot.com or you can access this site from my other site--Quiltingisblissful. I love your projects and I will be back to visit--Have a Great Day--Just, Di PS I will be making Mrs Perkins for "Myself"!!!!!!!!!!!!