Monday, October 19, 2009

Drawstring Tote!

Girlfriend! Robin and I had a lot of fun playing over the weekend and look what I made!

We trialled Texture Magic - a fun product to use! For those of you who don't know, it gives the appearance of shirring! It is a bit of a hoot to watch it shrinking before your eyes, 30% they say! For this effect, I first used a pencil to grid the product at 1 1/4" apart, then pinned it to the fabric, then stitched on the gridded lines, then held a steam iron just slightly above the Texture Magic and Voila!

I bought the product through Julie Woods, a Superior Threads rep living in Goulburn, NSW. I must say how efficient and helpful, Julie is - I ordered last Monday and it was here Wednesday, from one side of the country to the other - now how good is that!
When and if I make another, I will make a couple of modifications/additions to the pattern. All in all, it was a very productive weekend for me. Today I might take a 40 minute trip to our closest big shopping centre and have a little look at the spring/summer fashions, as we had two lovely warm days over the weekend!
Hope yours was a happy one!

21 Lovely People said ...:

Betsy said...

The bag is lovely Lurline. I love how you made the bottom textured. Have fun shopping.

Julia said...

Looks great Lurline..
Really does look like shirring...really makes this tote bag special and different!
Hugs Julia ♥

Julie said...

I've seen that texture magic but not used on a bag, it looks great.

Mary Grace McNamara said...

Wow Lurline, I love that bag! I have got to get me some of that texture magic! It looks like so much fun to work with.

Hope you had a fun shopping trip!

MGM

Kim said...

How cute is that?
Reminds me of ruffled baby pants :0)

Happy Sewing

Janet said...

I like how it looks in a bag, great texture just like the name says. Happy shopping.

West Michigan Quilter said...

Oh, I just love this bag. I didn't think I would care for texture magic, but I really like it on the bottom of your purse. I like that you told about it and how it works too. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Mistea said...

Groovy Tote - gotta love those new products! The colours are fab also.

Unknown said...

I love that texture magic ! The bag looks fantastic Lurline .

Deb said...

Oh that looks fabulous! My teenage daughter would just love it. Thanks Lurline - you show us such great stuff.

Kristie said...

Those are so cute! I don't think I have ever heard of that stuff! It is really neat!
Kristie

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

Looks like fun Lurline, I know I'm going to have to try it someday. Lovely bag too xo

Myra said...

This looks like a great product to look for and try!!! Bag looks great! Love the effect! 8-)

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Awesome Lurline..no doubt about you, you are one amazing gal...

Anonymous said...

Lovely bag...I'm just going to have to give this stuff a try! I see it everywhere and I could imagine must be fun to watch!!

Jodie said...

ooh, I have some of that texture magic but have yet to use it. The effect is great !

Beth Karese said...

What a fun little project with your friend!

Nat Palaskas said...

The bag looks great Lurline. Thanks for the tutorial too - Hugs Natima

Nedra said...

Lurline, you did a great job working with Texture Magic. I'm so glad your rep took such good care of you. This is only the beginning!

Jossie said...

It must have been fun making this gorgeous bag.

Nanette Merrill said...

That is so incredibly cute. It takes your little bag to the next level. I love it.