Friday, May 9, 2008

Yummy Powder Puffs

POWDER PUFFS

2 eggs separated
pinch of salt
½ cup caster sugar
1 tablespoon plain flour
¾ cup cornflour
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
½ teaspoon bi-carb soda

Preheat oven to moderate, and line baking trays with Glad Bake.
Sift flour, cornflour, cream of tartar and bi-carb soda 3 times.
Beat egg whites with salt until stiff. Add sugar and beat in egg yolks. Add sifted flours.
Place teaspoonfuls of mixture onto trays allowing room for spreading.
Bake in a moderate oven 10 minutes.
When completely cold, place in an airtight container until required.
Approximately 2-3 hours before needed, join pairs together with fresh cream.
Lightly dust plate with icing sugar, then sprinkle top of Powder Puffs with icing sugar.

The above is a very old Australian? recipe. It was passed on to me recently, by dear friend Pat. The first time I made it I thought the puffs were a little sticky on the bottom, so Pat said she added more cornflour. I have modified the original and the recipe as above is certainly successful and I believe the unfilled puffs can be made ahead quite some time - maybe weeks? Nice to have on hand! I think cornflour is corn starch in the USA.

Enjoy!

1 Lovely People said ...:

Kristie said...

mmmmm....they look and sound so good!!! I will have to pass this recipe on to my mom, she is a cook on a riverboat barge. So she is always looking for new recipes.
Kristie