Monday, January 26, 2009

Australia Day - 2009!

The First Fleet of ships to carry convicts from England to Botany Bay sailed from Portsmouth, England, on 13 May 1787. It arrived at Botany Bay on 18 January 1788. When that place proved unsuitable for a settlement the fleet made its way a short distance up the coast and on 26 January 1788 entered what is now known as Sydney Harbour and anchored in Sydney Cove.

That's what this great day is all about and why it means so much to Australians. When we were kids, nobody would want to be labelled with convict ancestry - nowadays we are so proud of our history! Thanks goodness it all did happen or I wouldn't be here - I come from good convict stock (lol)!

It's beer and prawns here today - no beer for the girls - we are good old Aussie wine drinkers! Of course it has to be at Mum's Place (i.e. Lurline's Place) - so no sewing today - may get a little done tonight!

Oh, how old and loved do they get! This is my puppies quilt and cushion - quite faded from lots of washing and yes, drying in the sun! Made from gentle repro fabrics and I think this is still my very favourite quilt - may make a similar one again soon!
♥ ... Happy Australia Day ... Hugs ... ♥

20 Lovely People said ...:

Gari in AL said...

Happy Australia Day and thanks for the info.

Mary Grace McNamara said...

Happy Australia Day to you and all your convict relations! ;) I'm guessing this is for you something like our July 4th is for us in the US? A great big national celebration...how fun! Until I started keeping up with so many great websites from Australia, I had never heard of it.

I love that quilt! The colors are so soft and it looks like it would be very cozy.

MGM

Anonymous said...

Happy Australia Day. Love that quilt - on my cats and Harriet would fight over who would be lucky enough to rest on that!

Julia said...

Love the pinwheel quilt..
Lucky puppies to have a beautiful quilt of their own!
have a great day!
Hugs Julia ♥

Julie said...

gorgeous quilt for your puppies lurline!
happy australia day! we sure do live in the best country in the world.
julie

Margaret said...

Happy Australia Day to you and your family.

Joy said...

Happy Australia day!!! Barbie for us too tonight :o).
Hugs,
Joy :O)

Canarella said...

Happy A Day mattie and love to have criminals as g-friends the more the merrier...the quilt is really sweet and it does not matter how old we love them all ...Enjoy your special day...Lani

Willow Grove - Kez said...

Happy Australia day to you too

Kathy said...

What a beautiful quilt....lucky dogs!

Happy Australia Day....very interesting.

Myra said...

Happy Australia day! What an interesting part of history of Sydney Harbour! I shall have to look into that a bit...
Beautiful grand-daughters you have there! 8-)
Great pinwheels quilt Lurline, also the one with the Mariner's Compass!!!
Angela's rag quilt is coming along nicely too...
Happy stitchings! 8-)

RG said...

Happy Australia day to you Lurline, 'Mate' :D
Enjoy your barbie tonight...We're having lamb on ours.
Aussie Aussie Aussie!
hugs
Robyn xx

Janet said...

Happy Australia day fro me too. I love all the quilts you show, I'm especially partial to pinwheels.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Hey Girlfriend...what a glorious day...beer and prawns to celebrate Australia Day. Hope it was a good one...Dzintra

Chookyblue...... said...

Happy Australia Day......

Abby and Stephanie said...

Happy Australia Day! So that is how Australia was settled. Very intersting!!! Beautiful quilt.

quiltingnana said...

thank you for sharing a little of your history...and enjoy the celebration

Crafts a la Mode said...

Happy Australia Day, Lurline. I guess that is the our Fourth of July in the U.S. We have picnics and celebrate with family. Have a great day. Linda
http://twosucculentsisters.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

So nice to hear of all the fun . By the way my DD also chose the the cat you liked . Guess I won't be selling that one .
Clares Craftroom

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Hi Lurline lovely quilt for your fury baby, people look at me very strange when I say I am making a quilt for my babies..