Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Charisma Finished!

Whoohoo! My project for January finished! This has been a delightful quilt to make and my first attempt on a big project hand-quilting in larger stitches with Perle thread and a big needle!

I originally bought the fabric from Kerry's and Julie's online shop Provincial Patch - they are delightful girls! I wanted to have a go at doing a Disappearing Nine-Patch - a great design made with squares into a 9-patch and then split up the middle both ways. I placed my blocks randomly and am happy with the outcome!

Western Australian Quilters have asked me to make a third prize for their Art Union Raffle for their QuiltWest Exhibition in May, so I am happy to be able to donate this quilt. Proceeds will go to The Royal Flying Doctor Service and though I haven't checked most probably some donation to Breast Cancer Research. With Australia being such a vast country with so many remote towns, where would we be without our RFDS - almost daily we hear about the life-saving service they provide to our folk. And breast cancer, need we emphasize further about that - at the moment it is cricket season here and great honour is being given to young mother,Jane McGrath who lost her battle with breast cancer last year - her husband, Glen, former Australian Test cricketer and the players and spectators are supporting a foundation in Jane's honour and all wearing pink - looks good! Let's hope we can all do our little bit to help both these worthy causes!

Here's a close-up of the quilting! The quilt took me a couple of months to make and DD, Angela, is really peeved that I am giving it away - however, I have been lucky enough to stumble across a bundle of fat-quarters on sale at the The Fat Quarter Shop in the US, and I will definitely make another - would not disappoint my little girl! I am hoping the fabric will arrive this week.

I'm off now to prepare for a 'dilly-bag making workshop' with Pat tomorrow - hopefully, I will have one of my creations to show you soon!

♥ ... Hugs ... ♥

20 Lovely People said ...:

Anonymous said...

Lurline, the quilt is divine. So very bright & beautiful. And what worthy causes. Hope your new cloth arrives soon and makes your daughter very happy.

Willow Grove - Kez said...

Lurline, What a gorgeous quilt you have made with our Charisma range. I don't blame your DD wanting it. Your hand quilting in it is beautiful. RFDS and Breast Cancer Research are such a good cause. You are a very kind lady. Well done.

Christine said...

Your quilt is fabulous. Someone is going to be very happy to win third prze. You are very generous.
Christine

loulee said...

Beautiful quilt Lurline. What a great cause too.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Very generous of you Lurline!!! I so admire the RFDS and have read the books on John Flynn...what an absolute hero!!! Fab quilt...Dzintra

Unknown said...

Really love that quilt , beautiful colours . Now you can relax for the rest of January . LOL
Clare's Craftroom

Abby and Stephanie said...

Very beautiful quilt and a generous dontation to a worthy cause. Great job!

Cornfield Quilter said...

I love the quilt and the quilting is perfection! The recipient will be blessed with this one. :D

Myra said...

Catching up on your posts! You've been a busy bee! 8-)
Your Charisma quilt is wonderful, and the quilt you made for grand-daughter Ayesha is wonderful! Very creative! 8-)
Happy stitchings Lurline!

SueR said...

Way to go, finishing your first OneProjectAMonth, Lurline. It's a really pretty quilt, and I am crazy about the big stitch with the perle cotton. I noticed you used a couple different colors of thread, what a nice touch.

em's scrapbag said...

I love your quilt. It is bright and cheerful. It made me smile. Thanks for sharing.

RG said...

Gorgeous stuff Lurline and yep we are a very vast country, so a wonderful cause.
Lovely work too...I love the idea of using perle to quilt with.
Thanks for stopping by :o)
Robyn xx

Margaret said...

Worth your weight in gold for the donation to the R.F.D.S., that's how I see it. Congratulations on making a lovely quilt, hugs.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Wow Lurline that is just so nice....

Anonymous said...

It is a cheerful happy quilt. I like the hand stitching. Thanks to you too, I made a disappearing nine-patch for my GD, seeing how simple the pattern was.

Bill Coulter said...

Beautiful quilt. I love the quilting. I'm going to have to try that on one of mine.

Crafts a la Mode said...

This is my first time visiting your blog, but I'll be stopping by -me and my sister- to visit often. I love your doll banner at the top of the blog. Very, very succulent indeed.
Take care, Linda
We had an ice storm last night. You can check pics on my blog. I live in Connecticut USA

Janet said...

Great quilt for a great cause. I love the colours in the Charisma range and you made a wonderful choice with the red binding

Julie said...

Hi Lurline, The quilt looks great. I like the quilting you have done too. I'm particularly touched you are donating it to a raffle going to the RFDS. I had a flight with Ellie Mae a little over 12 months ago after she stopped breathing one morning (very scary when you are a long way from help). It is an amazing service, very professional and caring people.
Julie, Provincial Patch. xxx

Annie said...

Love the fabric, and how you have arranged the patches. I love the disappearing 9 patch.