Thursday, January 22, 2009

Wish Me Luck!

Here I go ... doing silly things again!

Today I have started to make a raggy quilt for DD, Angela, for her birthday on the 27th, yes, January - as I say - wish me luck!

I bought these great charm squares from Kerri's and Julie's Online Quiltshop - Provincial Patch! For all your Aussie girls - great 30% sale there until the end of January and Kerri and Julie are so lovely!

Now, I have five charm packs of Arcadia by Moda and figure with 1/2" seams allowed, I should end up with a lap quilt approx 68" x 55". I have lovely Quilt Lite batting (this being cotton, it will fray very nicely!) on hand and had some Fusions backing fabric, purchased at a sale, so this will be a very cheap quilt.

Look at that funny white plastic thing - it is called a Hera Marker (by Clover, I think) and one of its uses is to mark quilting lines that will become invisible - see the lower brown print fabric. I should be able to whiz through the quilt-as-you- go quickly!

I have my dear wee grandson, Byron (one of 4-year old twins) with us for a few days? (am sure you all know about the boredom of school holidays and kids fighting!). Guess who is going to give into anything his little heart desires, so I can get this quilt done?

I'm on a mission - so hugs and happy stitching - Lurline♥

25 Lovely People said ...:

Lisa said...

Hello! I can't wait to see your quilt as you go...I have a pattern and want to do a flannel one w/ the frayed edges. I love the material you have selected, it's adorable!

OH! and your edging on your previous post is gorgeous! It adds such a beautiful touch to the quilt!

Mary Grace McNamara said...

Hey Lurline, that will be such a fun quilt to make and to use! Can't wait to see it materialize...so to speak!

Your knitted edge on the quilt was gorgeous! Such beautiful stitches! Nice job!

MGM

Christine said...

Love the fabrics you have chosen. The quilt is going to be lovely.
Christine

Willow Grove - Kez said...

Its so good you have your material. I have had no power here all afternoon, so no sewing on the machine. Hope to have some hand sewing done. Cant wait to see how you are going with your quilt for you DD. Hope we talk really soon

Kez

Lindi said...

Gorgeous funky fabric, Lurline! The quilt will look great.

Unknown said...

OOHH.!!Love those charm sq's they are Gorgeous..You'll get there Lurline..Keep Sewing Girlfriend.!!! It will look Great.!!
cheers

Pennie said...

In the words of some TV Characters, who I'm sure your DGS knows...
Can she do it? YES she can!
Love the fabrics, love the Hera Marker I just hope you have those spring loaded scissors to Raggy the quilt! I've made about 15 Raggy Quilts and I highly recommend them.

Kate said...

I knew I shouldn't have followed the link lol. Can't wait to see the finished quilt, and havefun with Byron :)

Abby and Stephanie said...

Love my Hera marker! Gorgeous fabric packs...I've never made a rag quilt. Looking forward to the finish.

Shari said...

You're awesome and I have every faith that you will have your quilt finished in time!!! Love the fabrics!
Hugs

Cornfield Quilter said...

What wonderful fabric! I have one of those little white plastic things too and so thanks to you I now know what it is used for. I will have to dig it out of my sewing box! :D
Have fun with your grandson, they sure do grow up fast don't they!!

Pat said...

Love your fabrics! Can't wait to see it finished. You will have it done. No doubts here!

em's scrapbag said...

Don't we mothers do the craziest things. Good luck my dear. I know you can do it. The fabrics are lovely.

Julia said...

Nothing like leaving it to the last minute Lurline..Angela will love it!
You can do it!

Julia ♥

Terri S said...

Good luck!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that no disasters happen to keep you from finishing on time.

Or, you could do like my mom did once. She bought a pattern and fabric to make me a wall hanging for Christmas. She never got around to making it, so she gave me the pattern and the fabric for Christmas!!

Myra said...

I do wish you much luck with the birthday quilt Lurline!!! Your grandson will be having a great time being spoiled so that you can get your stitching done! Who knows, maybe he can be helpful with the birthday gift!!! 8-)
Happy stitchings!

RG said...

You go Lurline...I'm wishing you luck!!
What a lovely Nanny you are...enjoy your visit :c)
Such delicious fabrics..Yum!
Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my kitty cat and quilt.
hugs
Robyn xx

PS if we can get permission I'd be happy to use KF's jacket photo...they are hexies after all..*big grn*

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Lurline ...beautiful fabric, shaggy quilts these are fantastic quilts, they look great and are quick to make...hera marker I have seen these looks like it will do a great job...have fun..

Anonymous said...

It will be groovy.

cheers
Christine

Anonymous said...

You don't waste time, that would be a first.

cheers
Christine

Julie said...

Is the quilt making going to schedule. You have chosen the right type of quilt to make, at least when its all sewn up you don't have to turn around and quilt it under pressure.
Thankyou for the plug, we are still getting lots of lookers and shoppers. We love seeing what everyone is making.
Look forward to seeing your finished product.
Julie :-)

Donna said...

I love these rag quilts. I've made 2. They are so fun and easy. I also love my Hera marker. I found out about them last June at a hand quilting class and bought one that day!! Great quilt and I have complete faith in you getting it done in plenty of time for her birthday.

Anonymous said...

I just love the fabrics you have chosen, and I think the quilt will fly together very quickly. You'll adore the Hera marker, too. I love mine and use it often.

Have fun!

quiltingnana said...

I've seen those funny looking markers and always wondered how they work...you'll have to let us know

Cathy said...

Hi Lurline,
How are you going? Sewing up a storm??
Good Luck! Cathy