Wednesday, January 14, 2009

True Friendship!

Firstly, for those who visit Christine's blog, Once Upon a Quilt ... , this quilt will most likely look familiar! On Monday I had one of the best surprises I have ever had - quite a story!

Christine and I started making quilts from this pattern at the same time - I had been lucky enough to be able to organize to have Kim McLean to do a workshop for us while Kim was holidaying on the Gold Coast, Queensland, Christmas 2003. The workshop was on 'Old Brights' - Kim's design inspired by a Great Australian Quilt.

I moved to Perth, January 2004, with many of the above blocks completed continuing to carry on doing more blocks and then I became overwhelmed with it all and couldn't settle to do more. It was also impossible to buy repro fabrics here then. I re-visited Brisbane October 2004 and took the blocks with me and gave them to Christine, as I thought she may be able to use them
in her quilt - so much work, I thought, I shouldn't let it go to waste.

Just recently, Christine showed the darling quilt on her blog - she had made the quilt from my blocks - made me feel a little sad, but I moved on - I was pleased she had used them! Lo and behold, the puppies barked at someone at the front door on Monday and there was a rather large parcel - 'Not expecting anything?', I thought and here were my beautiful blocks back, all pieced, quilted and bound!

Does this little story make you teary - friendship is life-enriching and I am one of those very lucky people who shares and truly understands its meaning! Thank you, and I love you, Christine! Still Dilly Bagging this week - here's anothery- inspired by gorgeous friend, Pat! Wikepedia says the origin of the dillybag is from the Australian Aborigine - a vessel used for collecting food - I'm sceptical - I thought Victorian ladies wore little dillybags over their wrists? Latent memory and all that useless trivia in the grey matter!

See the little Easter Bunny on my sidebar - please pop over to see Julie at Bush Baby Jag - she is organizing an Easter Swap - should be a lot of fun!

We had a fabulous day out yesterday with the Girlfriends, see Julia's pics at Julia's Place, tomorrow off to local patchwork group - yes, the busy days have started again and I have been so enjoying my time at home, too - must try to allow myself plenty of time for sewing this year, and blogging, too, of course - I'm so happy in Blogland!

♥ ... Hugs ... ♥

17 Lovely People said ...:

Anonymous said...

Your are most welcome, hope it keeps you warm in winter.

quilty hugs
your friend
Christine

Julie said...

wow, what a sweet thing for christine to do! beautiful quilt too.
isn't true friendship a wonderful treasue!
julie

Janet said...

How I love that quilt pattern, I want to make it! Christine is a treasured friend for sure. The dilly bags look really good too.

Abby and Stephanie said...

What a very special quilt...one I'm sure you'll treasure forever. It's gorgeous!

Unknown said...

WOW.!! what an Awesome thing to do...Love Kim's work...love the Quilt.
cheers

Joy said...

What a wonderful friend you have in Christine :o).
Hugs,
Joy :o)

Anonymous said...

You and Christine share true friendship - the quilt is stunning and such a treasure. Thanks for sharing your sweet story.

Unknown said...

What an awesome gift! and isn't it the best surprise when you don't even expect the postman to ring....I love, love the quilt and its amazing colour combinations.
You are blessed for sure on this day.

Purple and Paisley said...

what an absolutely fabulous gift...i enjoyed julia's pics of your fun day...i wish i lived by you two! we would be great friends! ♥

Maggie A said...

Waht a wonderful thing for Christine to do. It's a beautiful quilt, one you will always treasure.

Kathy said...

What a beautiful quilt and a beautiful thing for Christine to do!

em's scrapbag said...

What a dear friend you have in Christine. The quilt is gorgeous.

Julia said...

It's just beautiful Lurline,,, so happy for you. The quilt and Christine are very special!
Christine, It was hard, but I did keep it a secret!
Hugs Julia ♥

Chookyblue...... said...

what a special quilt.........enjoy........

Christine said...

A beautiful quilt. What a lovely thing for Christine to do.

Karen said...

You are one lucky person to get a quilt so pretty and from your own blocks and someone else's finishing hands!
I love your wonderbra comment in the next post. Oh, how true!

Felicity said...

Beautiful bags, beautiful quilts.