Saturday, January 10, 2009

Hexagons Galore!

It is not with great pride I show these pics - but, how could I resist - click the button on my sidebar to see what the Quiltalong is all about! Up top is my newie, as organized by Robyn of Daisy Quilts!

I did one diamond last night using the American Piecing method - see the lower right-hand corner - I made myself a little window template, drew inside and out, cut around the outside and stitched together on the lines.

I do prefer the neatness of the English Paper Piecing method, but this is so much quicker, so I thought I would give it a try!

Hmm, hmmm - just clearing my throat! Here's one I have partly done - very tiresome, but very beautiful - an 1840 reproduction with 5/8" side hexagons - all the cream joining-hexagons have daunted me - maybe I will finish it when I'm an old lady!

Above is my finished Hexagon Quilt top in the progress of being hand quilted - this has been in existence for way too many years - I have started the hand quilting using the Perle thread and bigger stitches and it looks okay!

This is a little darling of 1/2' hexagons - ancient it is - one of my first quilting projects! I have promised myself I will make it into a medallion for a quilt! All my hexagon projects, except this one have been done in reproduction fabrics and I think this one looks sort of Thirtyish.

Here's a cushion top of larger hexagons - well, sort of a cushion top and I have promised myself that will get done - a good one for One Project a Month, see the button on my sidebar!

My dear little boy, Byron with his new haircut - he popped in to see Nanny yesterday, along with twin sister Heidi!
As I said earlier, this new start will be my 33rd hexagon project, but then I do tend to exaggerate - oh, I would love to finish just one!
♥ ... Happy Weekend ... Hugs ... ♥

21 Lovely People said ...:

Julie said...

Very pretty. Hexagons are something I am yet to try.

Unknown said...

You are a very patient woman . I love those hexagons .

Anonymous said...

Beautiful hexagons and Byron is a handsome lad too. Hope you have a great weekend. By the way, Ricky Nelson's brother's name is David - I finally remembered!!!

Abby and Stephanie said...

I agree with Clare, you are very patient. Your colors are gorgeous.

Joy said...

I love your hexagons, the finished quilt top is stunning!!! I'm still making my way (very slowly)through my first project, but I'm really enjoying it so I know it won't be my last. Hopefully the quilt-along will give me the incentive to get it finished :o).
Hugs,
Joy :o)

Julia said...

All those beautiful hexagons!
I love that hexagon quilt..nice to see it's nearly finished..
Hugs Julia ♥

Crafts a la Mode said...

These hexagons look like a lot of work but are so beautiful! Thanks for showing your projects.

Purple and Paisley said...

good grief, you are talented! what are you doing blogging? why aren't you on tv somewhere teaching me how to make all of the beautiful things you come up with? ☺☺☺

Lindi said...

I love the look of hexagons! Yours are lovely. I have started planning a hexagone quilt, but that's as far as I've got so far.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a wonderful job you have done. I admire your patience and persistence

RG said...

Me too Lurline...one finish!!
Wow!! your work is gorgeous!!!!
What a good thing you now have a 'hexie' group...right? lol
yeah I know, madness reigns, but it seems there are a few of us with it.
Wow, wow and wooooowwww!!!!
hugs
Robyn xx

PS btw if you don't have room for all of those I'll 'mind' some for you...mwah ha ha

Danetta said...

I am so glad to have found your blog. I have so many hexagon projects started myself and am determined to finish something this year. Every time I come here I get another idea to start something else!

loulee said...

Your hexagon projects are all beautiful Lurline

Myra said...

Handsome little grandson! 8-)
What's one more hexagon quilt added to your pile of creativity hey Lurline? All will, in due time, become finished beauties, right!?! Looking good! You go girl!!! 8-)
Happy stitchings!

Stina Blomgren said...

Love your hexagons... always wanted to do these ones...but been scared of the handsewingpart... hmmm
Wish you all the luck in finishing them...

Janet said...

My oldest unfinished hexagon project is 12 years old, the only other one I've made, I finished last year. Your new project is really fabulous, I'll look forward to seeing more of it.

Rhonda said...

Wow! You are very talented. All those hexagons, small and slightly bigger are amazing. Years ago I tried the Grandmother's Flower Garden.....It's now one of my oldest UFO projects. You have given me the courage to pull it out again after about 20 years. Thanks and take care.

Unknown said...

Don't be so Hard on Yourself Your Hexagons are Gorgeous.!!! Thanks for sharing...Byron is a Cutie that's for sure....
cheers

Margaret said...

There is nothing like a hexagon quilt to make you sit up and take notice and yours are simply beautiful. Thanks for stopping by.

RG said...

Me again :D
Thanks for stopping by and for your kind words...it is truly my pleasure!! :c)
BTW your grandson is a real heartbreaker!!
hugs to you,
Robyn xx

Kristie said...

He is just sooooooo cute!!!

I love your hexagons! I always admire that pattern but have never been brave enough to try it! For some reason they look hard to get them together!
Kristie